Sunday, May 2, 2010

Too Much Sleep.

I've been a little worried about Wimbley because he has been really sluggish lately.

I did some research and came to the realization that I haven't been giving him enough "dark time". Because I stay up so late every night and don't shut the light off until 3:30am, he was only getting a few hours of dark time when he would come out and run on his wheel.

So I did an experiment this weekend. I had him out to play at around 8:30pm, he was really tired and wouldn't scamper around at all, but then I put him in his cage and shut the light off. While I did work out in the living room I could hear him running on his wheel and playing with his toilet paper rolls for hours!

The next night when I got him out, he was off the wall with energy!

So his sluggishness was definitely being caused by his dark deficiency! He will only stay awake for a while when the light is on so I need to make sure he gets enough dark time so he doesn't sleep himself into a stupor.

Good to know, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment